Mobile phones have become an extension of our lives. Even more than laptops and computers, your phone likely contains a combination of sensitive personal and work information. I know that I couldn’t possibly do my job without always having my phone by my side.
However, new cell phone models are coming out all the time and should you decide to sell, recycle or donate your old cell phone, you must always take the necessary steps to erase the data.
One of the biggest mistakes I’ve learned is to think that extinguish The content on your old phone is the same as wipe off the data. Deleted data can be recovered by the next stranger who gets their hands on your old phone.
CLICK HERE TO RECEIVE KURTS CYBERGUY NEWSLETTER FULL OF QUICK TIPS, TECHNICAL REVIEWS, SAFETY WARNINGS AND EASY HOW-TOS THAT WILL MAKE YOU SMARTER
How to transfer or backup your old phone
Many providers allow you to bring the old phone with you after purchasing the new one to replace it. In this case, you can directly transfer data from your old phone to your new device. However, if you have to give away your old phone at the time of trade-in, sale, recycling, or donation, you must back up the phone before erasing all data.
HOW CAN I BLUR THE BACKGROUND FOR PRIVACY WHEN YOU’RE ON A FACETIME CALL
Each brand and type of phone has different requirements and steps to secure phones. To find out how to backup and restore your iPhone, Android, and Samsung devices, visit CyberGuy.com/mobilebackup.
Here’s how to safely get rid of data on your iPhone
- Be sure to unpair devices like your Apple Watch from your phone.
- Transfer data directly to the new device or back up your old device via iCloud or iTunes.
- Sign out of iCloud, iTunes, and the App Store on your old device. Follow these steps to sign out if you are using iOS 10.3 or later: Tap the Settings icon. Ideasclick your name or Apple ID, then click yours Apple ID pagescroll all the way down tap all the way down Deliver
Enter yours Apple ID passwordthen click Switch off
- Tap the Settings icon.
- In Ideasclick Your Name or Apple ID
- Then on yours Apple ID pagescroll down
- Tap at the bottom Deliver
- Enter yours Apple ID passwordthen click Switch off
Are you switching to a non-Apple phone?
- Make sure, that Sign out of iMessage First. Leave it unchanged when you get a new iPhone
- Follow the steps below to reset your device:
Please note: If your device uses eSIM This is a newer virtual SIM card technology that replaces a physical SIM card, Delete your device and eSIM profile if asked. You may be prompted for your passcode when you click Delete.
- Go to Ideas Then scroll down and tap Generally
- Scroll down and tap Transfer or reset iPhone
- Now tap Erase all content and settings
HOW TO RECORD CALLS ON YOUR PHONE
If you’re not using a SIM card, contact your wireless service provider to transfer service to the new owner. Don’t forget to remove the iPhone you just reset from your trusted devices list.
How to safely get rid of data on Android
- Go to Settings/System Settings
- Choose system Then Progressive
- Select from the reset options Erase all data (factory reset)
You will get a prompt asking if you agree to clearing the data list. Click reset phone. You may be asked to enter your PIN or other security information. You’ll get a warning asking if you’re sure.
Click Delete everything
How to safely get rid of data on Samsung
- Go to Ideas
- ChooseGeneral Administration
- Tap R eset
- Choose Factory reset
- Under Factory data reset, click Reset to defaultThen Delete everything
NEVER MISS A CALL AGAIN EVEN IF YOUR PHONE IS IN ANOTHER ONE
The best ways to get rid of your old phone or tablet
The best ways to sell your old device
Now that your old phone has been “wiped” clean, you can sell, recycle, or donate your old device. Instead of adding your old phone to your pile of unused tech, consider selling it now that it’s wiped clean.
The best way to recycle your old device
Since most cell phones contain hazardous materials such as heavy metals, avoid throwing them away. Many shippers, electronics stores, and other organizations have free recycling or donation programs for you. The Environmental Protection Agency has listed a list of donation and recycling programs.
Were these tips helpful? Feel free to get in touch if you have other concerns.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
For more of my tips, subscribe to my free CyberGuy Report newsletter by going toCyberGuy.com/Newsletter.
Copyright 2023 CyberGuy.com. All rights reserved.
Source : www.foxnews.com